Dec 29, 2011

Book Review: A Lasting Impression by Tamera Alexander

Excerpt: Something caught her eye, and Claire stilled.

She squinted and raised the candelabra higher, wanting to make sure that what she was seeing - or wasn't seeing - was real. But it was.

Every piece of art in the gallery was gone. A Lasting Impression, pg 23.

Back Cover: Claire Laurent's greatest aspiration is to paint something that will bring her acclaim. Yet her father insists she work as a copyist. A forger. When she's forced to flee from New Orleans to Nashville only a year after the War Between the States has ended, her path collides with attorney Sutton Monroe. She considers him a godsend for not turning her in to the authorities. But after he later refuses to come to her aid, Claire fears she's sorely misjudged the man. Finding herself among the elite of Nashville's society, Claire believes her dream to create a lasting impression in the world of art is within reach--but only if her fraudulent past remains hidden.

The Federal Army has destroyed Sutton's home and confiscated his land, and threatens to destroy his family's honor. His determination to reclaim what belongs to him and to right a grievous wrong reveals a truth that may cost him more than he ever imagined--as well as the woman he loves.

Set at Nashville's historic Belmont Mansion, a stunning antebellum manor built by Mrs. Adelicia Acklen, A Lasting Impression is a sweeping love story about a nation mending after war, the redemption of those wounded, and the courage of a man and woman to see themselves--and each other--for who they really are.

My Review: A Lasting Impression is a book about forgiveness and second chances. The situations that the characters find themselves in kept me turning the pages. I loved the chemistry between the lead male and female characters. I love how this book develops and the way that the characters grow and change. I am reminded that the truth can set you free. I did enjoy this book.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to readers of historical fiction.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

2 comments:

  1. This was my first book by Tamera Alexander and it definitely won't be my last! I do hope she writes more Belmont Mansion Novels. The description of the Belmont Mansion and grounds make me want to go there for a tour. I enjoyed the fact that the love between the main characters could be felt but was not described in graphic detail and there wasn't the violence that is so common in so many novels now. It was just a wonderful warm fuzzy novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my review. Belmont does seem like a very interesting place to visit.

      Delete

You're comments are appreciated!