Feb 24, 2012

Book Review: Words Spoken True by Ann H Gabhart

Excerpt: "You planned this whole thing, didn't you?"

"Why, I'm sure I don't know what you could mean, Mr. Garrett, but of course I wanted Adriane to come. She writes such wonderful notices of my little benefits. You should really read them to get some pointers."

"That sounds like excellent advice," Blake said as he started to stand up. "And now if you'll excuse me, I'll get us something to drink."

"I'm not the least bit thirsty, Mr. Garrett, and I would think you'd enjoy meeting the competition." Mrs. Wigginham kept a firm hand on his arm to keep him from making his escape. "It is whispered that our sweet Adriane writes half of what appears in the Tribune. While that is shocking to be sure, it also makes her rather interesting, don't you think?" Mrs. Wigginham leveled her eyes on him as she went on without waiting for an answer. "Now do be a good boy and allow an old lady her fun." Words Spoken True, pg 52.

Back Cover: One woman stands ready to defend her newspaper . . . even if it means losing out on love

Adriane Darcy was practically raised in her father's newspaper offices. With ink in her veins, she can't imagine life without the clatter of the press and the push to be first to write the news that matters. Their Tribune is the leading paper in Louisville in 1855.

When Blake Garrett, a brash young editor from the North with a controversial new style of reporting, takes over a competing newspaper, the battle for readers gets fierce. After Adriane and Blake meet at a benefit, their surprising mutual attraction is hard to ignore. Still, Blake is the enemy, and Adriane is engaged to the son of a powerful businessman who holds the keys to the Tribune's future. Blake will stop at almost nothing to get the story--and the girl.

Set against the volatile backdrop of political and civil unrest in 1850s Louisville, this exciting story of love and loyalty will hold you in its grip until the very last page.
My Review: Feisty, intelligent and completely unconventional. I liked Adriane Darcy from the first page and liked her more and more as the story progressed. The scenes and events that Ann Gabhart portrays in this book are fascinating. There is danger, intrigue and mystery around every corner. And there is always the race to see who will get the best headline for the next day's paper. The love element in the story was beautifully done, though a little surprising for Christian fiction since it went further than a lot of stories in this genre do. Still it was tasteful. I'm glad that I had an opportunity to read this book.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to readers of historical fiction.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!