Mar 7, 2012

Book Review: Song of My Heart by Kim Vogel Sawyer

Excerpt: God, I want Your will most of all, so if they say no, let me accept it. But even as the plea silently rose, she realized the depth of her longing to travel to Kansas. To take the jog. And fulfill the dream that resided within her heart.

She opened the door and stepped it. Twining her fingers together, she searched her parent's faces. Their burden-weary expressions offered no hint of what they had decided. Mama pointed silently to the foot of the bed, and Sadie quickly sat.

"Sadie-girl..."

Tears immediately sprang to Sadie's eyes at the sound of Papa's weak, raspy voice so different from the boisterous, booming voice he'd had before the tunnel collapse that had nearly killed him.

"The idea of lettin' you go so far away is a mighty tough thing." Papa heaved a huge sigh. Mama dabbed at her eyes, and Papa took her hand before continuing. "But after reading the letter an' praying together, we think--"

Sadie held her breath.

"--this job is a true answer to prayer." Song of My Heart, pg 12.

Back Cover: Sadie Wagner has always been devoted to her family. So when her stepfather is injured and can't work, she decides to leave home and accept a position as a clerk at the mercantile in Goldtree, Kansas. Goldtree also offers the opportunity to use her God-given singing talent--though the promised opera house is far different from what she imagined. With her family needing every cent she can provide, Sadie will do anything to keep her job.

Thad McKane comes to Goldtree at the request of the town council. The town has been plagued by bootlegging operations, and Thad believes he can find the culprit. After he earns enough money doing sheriff work, he wants to use it to pay for his training to become a minister.

Thad is immediately attracted to the beautiful singer who performs in Asa Baxter's unusual opera house, but when he hears her practicing bawdy tunes, he begins to wonder if she's far less innocent than she seems. And when Sadie appears to be part of the very crimes he's come to investigate, is there any hope the love blossoming between them will survive?

My Review: I really enjoy Kim Vogel Sawyer's novels and Song of My Heart does not disappoint. Sawyer creates characters with depth, and conviction. I love the struggles and difficult situations that she forces on them. I really enjoyed the way that this story unfolded, the drama, challenges, and danger were very real and well done. Song of My Heart is light and enjoyable read that I'm glad I didn't miss.
My Rating:

My Recommendaton: I highly recommend this book to readers of historical fiction and fans of Kim Vogel Sawyer.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!