Sep 25, 2012

Book Review: Nothing to Hide by J. Mark Bertrand

Excerpt: If the killing had taken place here, there would have been a lot more blood. But whoever made the drop took the trouble to arrange the corpse, settling it down all neat and tidy like a body in a coffin, except for one arm extended in the direction of the woods, the skinned hand shaped into a fist apart from the index finger.

"Like it was pointing," Jerry explains. "I thought if we followed the line, we might find . . ." His voice trails off. "You know. The head." Nothing to Hide, pg 14.

Back Cover: A grisly homicide. An international threat. The stakes have never been higher for Detective Roland March.

The victim's head is missing, but what intrigues Detective Roland March is the hand. The pointing finger must be a clue--but to what? According to the FBI, the dead man was an undercover asset tracking the flow of illegal arms to the Mexican cartels. To protect the operation, they want March to play along with the cover story. With a little digging, though, he discovers the Feds are lying. And they're not the only ones.

In an upside-down world of paranoia and conspiracy, March finds himself dogged by injury and haunted by a tragic failure. Forced to take justice into his own hands, his twisting investigation leads him into the very heart of darkness, leaving March with nothing to lose--and nothing to hide.

My Review: Nothing to Hide is the third Roland March book, and just as good as the previous two. This book is not for the faint of heart, or the weak of stomach. Bertrand doesn't mind writing a bit of gore into his stories. This novel kept me on my toes. I was never sure who could be trusted, and I have to admit that I didn't solve the murder before the characters. This book is hard to put down, but it did leave me a little disquieted as I thought about the ethical and moral dilemmas that March faces in the pages. This book is well worth the read.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this to readers of suspense and crime fiction.


Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!