Jan 18, 2013

Book Review: The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen



Back Cover: Emma Smallwood, determined to help her widowed father when his boarding school fails, accompanies him to the cliff-top manor of a baronet and his four sons. But soon after they arrive and begin teaching the two younger boys, mysterious things begin to happen. Who does Emma hear playing the pianoforte at night, only to find the music room empty? And who begins sneaking into her bedchamber, leaving behind strange mementoes?

The baronet's older sons, Phillip and Henry Weston, wrestle with problems--and secrets--of their own. They both remember the studious Miss Smallwood from their days at her father's academy. But now one of them finds himself unexpectedly drawn to her...

When suspicious acts escalate, can Emma figure out which brother to blame and which to trust with her heart?

My Review: I have read all of Julie Klassen's books to date, but The Tutor's Daughter was my least favorite. That being said, this book is still a good read. Klassen gives the reader a mystery to solve, and an interesting cast of characters. I had a hard time identifying with Emma, the main character, but I enjoyed trying to figure out who could be trusted from the rest of the cast. While I figured out the family's secret before the main character did, I did not figure out who was the real danger until the end. The Tutor's Daughter was a satisfying read, even if it wasn't my favorite Klassen novel.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to fans of Julie Klassen and lovers of novels set in 19th century England.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!