Aug 28, 2013

Book Review: Rules of Murder by Julianna Deering

Back Cover: Introducing Drew Farthering

From The Tip of his black Homburg to the crease in his stylish cheviot trousers, he's the epitome of a stylish 1930s English gentleman. His only problem? The body he just discovered.

Drew Farthering loves a good mystery, although he generally expects to find it in the pages of a novel, not on the grounds of his country estate.

With the help of beautiful and whip-smart Madeline Parker, a guest from America, Drew proposes to use the lessons he's learned reading his mysteries to solve the crime. Before long, he realizes this is no lark, and no one at Farthering Place is who he or she appears to be--not the butler nor blackmailer, the chauffeur nor embezzler. Trying hard to remain one step ahead of the killer--and trying harder to impress Madeline--Drew must decide how far to take this dangerous game.

My Review: I loved this book! While mystery is not my normal genre, I couldn't put this book down. Once the murder happened, I was flipping pages, trying to solve the mystery. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, Deering would throw something new into the mix and I'd go back to the drawing board. Rules of Murder is a delightful read. As other reviews have said, this novel could be summed up as Agatha Christie meets Downton Abbey. My only difficulty with the book was getting in to it, because of the vast number of characters at the beginning. However, once Deering killed a few off, and sent the others home, it was much easier to understand what was going on and keep everyone straight. I can't wait to read the next book in the series. And in case you're wondering, no I didn't solve the mystery completely before Drew and his friends. Well played, Deering, well played!

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I highly recommend this book to fans of Agatha Christie and other readers of mystery.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!