Oct 22, 2013

Book Review: He Wins She Wins by Willard F. Harley, Jr.

Back Cover: Every conflict in your marriage is an opportunity to fall more deeply in love.

You've probably heard a lot of advice on how to resolve conflicts in your marriage. What you may not know is that if a resolution comes only in order to keep the peace, it's no resolution at all. Marriage expert Willard F. Harley, Jr., says there's a better way.

What's different about the He Wins, She Wins approach is the ultimate goal--for you and your spouse to grow in your love for each other. This win-win model for negotiation starts with a simple rule: Never do anything without an enthusiastic agreement between you and your spouse.

Think that sounds impossible? In this book, Dr. Harley will show you how it's been done in his marriage of over fifty years--and in the marriages of the thousands of couples he's counseled. He'll explain the art of marital negotiation, show you how to resolve common conflicts the right way, and help you overcome these common obstacles:

· emotional reactions are preventing calm discussion
· neither of you wants to talk about an issue
· one or both of you are indecisive
· one of you is happy with the status quo
· being enthusiastic about anything doesn't seem possible


And above all, he'll show you how every decision you make together will increase your love for each other.

My Review: I am a big believer in reading books on marriage. When I heard about He Wins, She Wins, I knew it was a book I had to read. I'm not a good negotiator. My husband won't even play Monopoly with me, because I can't negotiate the trade of play property. A whole book on marital negotiation seemed to be a good fit for me. I'm glad that I took the time to read it. Harley gives many good points about making marriage negotiations work. I'm competitive by nature, so often my negotiation strategy is a win-lose ordeal. No one likes to lose, and Harley points out that win-lose situations are really lose-lose situations in marriage. Some of the concepts that he gives in this book are not easy to live in the day to day, but I can see how, if they are effectively implemented, they can change the whole dynamic of a marriage from good to great. I don't know about you, but I want a great marriage.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I highly recommend this book to married or engaged couples.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!