Oct 8, 2013

Book Review: The Promise by Dan Walsh and Gary Smalley

Back Cover: One home, two hearts, and the power of a promise kept . . .

For the last five months, Tom Anderson has been without a job, a fact he's been hiding from his wife Jean--and everyone else. He leaves each morning, pretending nothing has changed, and spends his disheartening day rotating through coffee shops and the library, using their wifi to search job listings online. The stress of keeping this secret is beginning to put serious strain on his marriage.

But Tom's not the only one hiding something. Jean Anderson has a secret of her own--one that will seriously complicate their situation. Will the promises they made on their wedding day hold firm?

My Review: The Promise is the second book in the Restoration Series. I loved the first book in this series and was eagerly anticipating the second book, but I was disappointed. While there was nothing wrong with the story, it just didn't grab me and hook me the way that The Dance did. Dan Walsh is one of my favorite writers, so I was surprised to not enjoy this novel. The characters did not engage me like I wanted, and at times the story seemed contrived and forced along. While I understand the shame of the main character, I don't understand why he acted in the ways that he did - though the actions are justified by the authors. Still, that character motivation issue hurt the story in my opinion. I will be reading Walsh again, and I'm sure his next novel will recover whatever faith I may have lost reading The Promise.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to readers who enjoyed the first book in this series.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!