Jan 28, 2014

Book Review: All Things Hidden by Tracie Peterson and Kimberley Woodhouse

Back Cover: Gwyn Hillerman loves being a nurse at her father's clinic on the beautiful Alaskan frontier. But family life has been rough ever since her mother left them, disdaining the uncivilized country and taking Gwyn's younger sister with her.

In Chicago, Dr. Jeremiah Vaughan finds his life suddenly turned upside down when his medical license is stripped away after an affluent patient dies. In a snowball effect, his fiance breaks their engagement. In an attempt to bury the past, Jeremiah accepts Dr. Hillerman's invitation to join his growing practice in the isolated Alaska Territory.

Gwyn and Jeremiah soon recognize a growing attraction to each other. But when rumors of Jeremiah's past begin to surface, they'll need more than love to face the threat of an uncertain future.

My Review: I was absolutely intrigued with the historical context of All Things Hidden. I've read a lot of historical novels, but I can't remember reading another book about depression era Alaska. The uniqueness of the time and place of the setting enhanced my enjoyment of the novel. The main character, Gwyn, is well developed and likable. While she isn't perfect, I was happy to accompany her through her story. I loved how the authors created tension between Gwyn and Jeremiah (the handsome young doctor running away from scandal in Chicago). Jeremiah has so much to lose. I held my breath most of the book waiting to see if the truth would set him free or if it would be the final condemnation to end all his dreams. I won't give away the outcome. In my opinion, this was a very enjoyable book, even if I didn't find the antagonist as believable as I would have liked.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to readers of historical fiction.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

1 comment:

You're comments are appreciated!