Oct 22, 2010

Book Review: Embers of Love by Tracie Peterson

Excerpt: "It feels strange - coming home after being gone so long."

"You're no longer a child." Euphanel gazed at her daughter. "Something happens to us when we cross that threshold to womanhood."

Deborah considered that a moment. "Everything seems different, and yet nothing has changed."

"You've changed."

She startled at her mother's words. "I'm still the same old Deborah."

Her mother shook her head. "Hardly that. You are a woman now. While many would have called you one before, there can be no doubt about it now. You have tasted the world and its delights - traveled to see so many exciting things. You walked beyond your own gate, as my mother would say. It opens your heart and mind to so much that you didn't know before." Embers of Love, pg 42-43.

Back Cover: After being educated in the East, Deborah Vandermark returns to Perkinsville, Texas, where her family is part of the thriving logging industry. She brings along an unexpected companion - her best friend, who is fleeing a wedding and groom she has no interest in. A determined matchmaker, Deborah sets her sights on uniting her brother and friend in what she hopes will be a true love match.

Then Deborah meets Christopher Clayton, the town's new doctor - and quickly realizes that she has a much greater interest in medicine and science than the bookkeeping she studied in college. Soon Deborah is caught between her fascination for doctoring and her obligation to her family. And in the midst of her warring emotions is the doctor himself. Are her tumultuous feelings for the man, or for what he can teach her?

My Review: Embers of Love is the first book in Tracie Peterson's new series - Striking a Match. It has been a while since I've read any of Tracie's books. After reading Embers of Love, I want to go back and read Tracie's other books that I have in my collection.

This is a story of one young woman's quest to find out what she really wants from life. While she is willing to match up other people, Deborah guards her own heart for the sake of the greater good - her family's well-being. After reading the book, I had to ask myself why I do the things that I do. Do I do them because they are laid on my heart - a passion from God - or do I do them because I think that others expect it from me.

I do have to admit that the story seems to drag in spots, though the whole thing takes place in six short months. The rate in which the characters fall for each other is a little unrealistic, but putting that aside the story line is enjoyable.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to those who enjoy historical romance and especially fans of Tracie Peterson.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!