Jan 24, 2011

Book Review: The Girl in the Gatehouse by Julie Klassen

Excerpt: "You still have my chest?"

"Of course."

"Have you looked inside?"

Mariah hesitated. "I...no..."

Her aunt's eyes twinkled. "Aha. You tried, but found it locked, did you not?" She pulled at the chain around her neck, and from her bodice emerged an ornate old key.

"And nor shall you, until I am dead and buried." She tucked the key back into its hiding place. "After that, you may sift through my things all you like. You never know. You may find something valuable, or at least interesting." The Girl in the Gatehouse, pg 28.

Back Cover: Mariah Aubrey lives in seclusion with her secrets. Will an ambitious captain uncover her identity...and her hidden past?


Banished from the only home she's ever known, Mariah Aubrey hides herself away in an abandoned gatehouse on a distant relative's estate. There she supports herself and her loyal servant the only way she knows how - by writing novels in secret.

When Captain Matthew Bryant leases the estate, he is intrigued by the beautiful girl in the gatehouse. But there are many things he doesn't know about this beguiling outcast. Will he risk his plans - and his heart - for a woman shadowed by scandal?

Intriguing, mysterious, and romantic, The Girl in the Gatehouse takes readers inside the life of a secret authoress at a time when novel-writing was considered improper for ladies and the smallest hint of impropriety could change a woman's life forever.

My Review: Julie Klassen has done it again. The Girl in the Gatehouse is an amazing story of one young woman's struggle to support herself in a society that his hostile to everything that she stands for. This is a story of second chances and redemption. Every time I read one of Julie Klassen's books, I know I've found a new favorite, and this novel does not disappoint. Full of mystery and suspense, Klassen gives us a rich cast of characters and a set of circumstances that seem impossible to overcome. If you haven't read any of Julie's books, you don't know what you've been missing!

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I highly recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction, especially those who enjoy the Regency Era of Jane Austen.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed The Girl in the Gatehouse. This is my first book of this genre, and I found it interesting and delightful. Just enough mystery and romance to please. I have since picked another of Julie Klassen's titles to read.Loved the book, love the author.

    ReplyDelete

You're comments are appreciated!