Feb 15, 2011

Book Review: Another Dawn by Kathryn Cushman


Excerpt: “You know me, when I get nervous, I tend to get a little crazy.”

“You tend to bolt, you mean. I played right into your hands, didn’t I? When I called and demanded that you come out here, it gave you the excuse you needed to run away from the problem.”

I shook my head. “No, I’m not running away from the problem.” Not the one she was thinking of anyway. “There’s nothing left to run from. It’s over.” Another Dawn, pg 32.

Back Cover: What would you give for a second chance to make things right?

When life gets complicated, Grace Graham runs. She’s left romantic relationships, friendships, and even her family after the death of her mother. But now her sister, Jana, is giving her a last chance: Come home and help care for their father – whom Grace blames for her mother’s death – or never show her face in Shoal Creek, Tennessee, again.

With her son, Dylan, in tow, Grace returns home from California. But is she returning for the right reasons? And when costly decisions from the past suddenly put her son’s life and the lives of other children in town at risk, will she have the strength to stand strong and await Another Dawn?

My Review: Kathryn Cushman gives the reader a lot to think about in this wonderful novel. Just reading this book made me think about the long reaching effects of the decisions that I make. What I do doesn’t just affect me. Cushman’s character has to struggle through some difficult situations – a few of her own making – and find out what it really means to forgive. I found myself thinking about the story long after I had closed the final pages.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I would highly recommend this novel to readers of contemporary fiction.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!