Feb 17, 2011

Book Review: Promises to Keep by Ann Tatlock


Excerpt: “How do you know if you’re going to end up in heaven or…you know…the other place?”

Her hand came up gently pushed my hair off my forehead. “Well now,” she said with a smile, “as my dear mother always said, that all depends on who your father is.”

“Who your father is?” The butterflies threw themselves against my stomach wall in one huge rebellion. I was certain I was going to be sick. If my getting into heaven depended on Daddy, I didn’t have a chance. He had promised to change, to stop drinking, to be a good person, but he wasn’t all those things yet – probably wasn’t even close, and I was the one who was going to have to pay for it. Promises to Keep, pg 182.

Back Cover: A mother fleeing unspeakable danger to keep her children safe…

Two young girls guarding secrets in a “cross my heart and hope to die” pledge…

A father desperate to be reunited with his family…

My Review: This was the first of Ann Tatlock’s stories that I have ever read, and I found it to be very enjoyable. Her main character, Roz, is a wonderful girl who is in the middle of a situation that she can’t fully understand. I love the way that Roz looks at life, and how she interoperates what is going on around her. Of course, the addition of Tillie to the household gives the story a deeper and more interesting plot. This story is full of danger, suspense, and trying to figure out what is truth.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend Promises to Keep to any reader of Contemporary fiction.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!