Apr 19, 2011

Book Review: Lady in the Mist by Laurie Alice Eakes

Excerpt: A hand clamped over her mouth. "This is a warning." The voice was sibilant, muffled, as thought he spoke from behind a kerchief. Something sharp pricked the skin of her throat. "Keep silent about this night if you don't want to swim with the fishes." Lady in the Mist, pg 16.

Back Cover: By virtue of her profession as a midwife, Tabitha Eckles is the keeper of many secrets. Dominick Cherrett is a man with his own secret to keep: namely, why he, a British aristocrat, is on American soil working as an indentured servant.

In a time when relationships between America and England rest on the edge of a knife, Tabitha and Dominick cross paths, leading them on a journey of intrigue, threats, public disgrace, and ... love. But can Tabitha trust Dominick? Finding true love seems impossible in a world set against them.

With stirring writing that draws you directly into the story, Lady in the Mist takes you on the thrilling ride of love's discovery.

My Review: This is the first book of Eakes' that I have read, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The plot sounded intriguing, and I tend to love historical fiction, so I gave the book a try. While the book and the story line were interesting, I found this book a little slow in the reading. I, personally, had a hard time getting into the story. In fact, it took me twice as long to read this book as it would normally. That being said, I can't put my finger on the exact reason behind my feelings about this book. Overall, the book was interesting, but it just didn't strike a cord with me.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to those who enjoy the writings of Laurie Alice Eakes.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!