Apr 22, 2011

Book Review: Love Amid the Ashes by Mesu Andrews

Excerpt: Dinah's needs were basic and her lifestyle simple. She seldom left the confines of the central fire and small area between her tent and Grandfather Isaac's. This was her world, her home. But no more.

For fifteen years she'd felt secure, capable, and useful as she cared for Grandfather Isaac. Now she wondered what truly belonged to her and what greedy Uncle Esau would seize for himself. When the men returned from the burial cave, she would be expected to obey Isaac's command - to marry Job's son.

"Why would you say such a thing?" Dinah whispered to the grandfather who had loved her. Love Amid the Ashes, pg 16.

Back Cover: An Epic Story of Love and Forgiveness, Suffering and Restoration.

When her beloved grandfather Isaac dies, Dinah must follow his final command: travel to Job's household to marry his son. After Job's world comes crashing down, Dinah finds herself drawn to this great man brought low. What will she risk to fight for his survival?

My Review: For starters, I'm still not a huge fan of Biblical fiction, and this fact does cloud my review of this book. Mesu Andrews does a great job bringing the characters of Dinah and Job to life. She adds many interesting things to this story while keeping to what she believes in the true Biblical record. Though she does a great job weaving the stories of Job and Dinah together, I find myself a little distracted by the idea that they could have been contemporaries. This distraction really hindered my personal enjoyment of the book. I'm sure others would not have the same hesitations or distractions that I faced. The story of this book, by itself, is enjoyable. I just couldn't get around the use of these two stories together. I'm sure it was just me.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to lovers of Biblical Fiction.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

1 comment:

  1. "Love Amid the Ashes" will seize your interest right from the beginning. God's people come alive in this creative contextual flow of Job's life story. This novel is a must for your spring and summer reading list. I appreciate the historical flow chart and the reference to scriptures. Mesu Andrews stirring writing will have you looking at the book of Job in a very unique way!

    ReplyDelete

You're comments are appreciated!