Jul 8, 2011

Book Review: Pattern of Wounds by J. Mark Bertrand

Excerpt: Gazing down the length of the pool, a tingle creeps up my spine. A ping of recognition. Something's been bothering me. And now I know what.

With the lieutenant looking on, Dr. Green takes one of the victim's wrists, lifting the arm, carefully turning the body to expose a breast and another network of punctures and a jagged, seeping gash in the chest.

I throw out my hand. "Wait."

The medical examiner freezes. After a pause, she lowers the body back. Bascombe stares at me, palms raised. Without explaining I switch my camera on and snap a photo. The preview on the LCD screen isn't exactly right. I realign the camera and take another shot.

"Everyone go inside," I say. "Except for you, Lieutenant. I need you over here."

The work stops, but nobody moves. Bascombe makes the call, signaling the crime scene techs to indulge my whim. He comes over, bringing Dr. Green with him. With the scene clear I take another shot.

I hand him the camera, displaying the photo. "Does that remind you of anything?"

"Yeah," he says, "it reminds me of what I can see with my own eyes." He squints and the screen, then shows it to the ME. "You gonna tell me or what?"

"The Fauk scene." Pattern of Wounds, pg 21.

Back Cover: A brutal murder. An unraveling conviction. To catch the killer, Roland March must decipher the Pattern of Wounds.

It's Christmas in Huston, and homicide detective Roland March is on the hunt for a killer. A young woman's brutal stabbing in an affluent neighborhood bears all the hallmarks of a serial murder. The only problem is that March sent the murderer to prison ten years ago. Is it a copycat - or did March convict the wrong man?

Alienated from his colleagues, and with a growing rift in his marriage, March receives a series of taunting messages from the killer. The bodies pile up, the pressure builds, and the violence reaches too close to home. Up against an unfathomable evil, March struggles against the clock to understand the hidden message in the pattern of wounds.

My Review: When I saw that the next book in the Roland March Mystery series was out, I couldn't wait to review it. Back on Murder, the first book of the series, gave a great starter look at this man, and this second book is just as good, if not better. Pattern of Wounds is full of mystery, danger, and death. I love reading a murder mystery where I actually have to work to figure out who the murder is. I was on the edge of my seat, turning the pages as quickly as I could, to help Roland solve these horrible crimes. From start of finish, this is a superbly written novel, and I can't wait to read the next one in the series!

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I highly recommend this book to readers of Christian suspense.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!