Jul 12, 2011

Book Review: Falls Like Lightning by Shawn Grady

Excerpt: "We, right now, are on the verge of the largest lightning-caused fire complex the Sierra Nevada has seen in over a century."

Elle glanced out the window and back at Weathers. "What part of it?"

He cleared his throat. "The Desolation Wilderness."

Elle stiffened. Hence why she was there. She hadn't flown over that terrain since--

"I know." Weathers nodded. "It hasn't even been two full years."

She stared at her lap.

"Elle, I am certain you know those mountains from the air better than anyone."

"That's one distinction I wish I didn't have." Falls Like Lightning, pg 46.

Back Cover: Smokejumper Silas Kent never expected to see pilot Elle Westmore again. In fact, reuniting makes him realize what a mistake he made all those years ago. But before he has a chance to try to make amends, he's called to lead a new crew into battle against a massive fire in the Sierra Nevadas.

And then things go very wrong, very quickly.

A suspicious engine explosion forces the crew to parachute early while Elle barely survives a crash landing. Silas reaches the ground safely, but in beginning a desperate race to reach the downed plane, he soon realizes he has more to fear than just a raging forest fire.

My Review: This was the first of Shawn Grady's books that I have read. I didn't know anything about Smokejumping before opening the pages, but after reading the book, I understand more about this fascinating and dangerous occupation. However, it wasn't the interesting occupational hazards that kept me turning the pages. Grady weaves a story of lies, danger and death that wouldn't let me stop reading till the story was done. This book will keep you turning the pages from start to finish. The only thing I didn't enjoy about the story was how many "main" characters there were. It was hard to know who I was supposed to bond with when there were so many characters that we got into the heads of. Other than that, Falls Like Lightning was an excellent read.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to readers who enjoy danger and suspense.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!