Apr 25, 2012

Book Review: Moonblood by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

Excerpt: "She is innocent; I swear upon my hand."

"But, my son," said the Eldest quietly, "does your word count for anything now?"

Lionheart stared. Of all the blows in his life, that one struck the deepest.

The Eldest shook his head and continued to speak in a low voice that only Lionheart and Rose Red could hear. "You have lost their trust. Don't think I have not seen. And where does that leave me, Lionheart? I am not long for this world, and when I die, I must pass on rule of my kingdom to one who will not be able to lead. For who will follow you no? Does any man in all of Southlands trust you, who abandoned them in their suffering, who did not return until the danger was past?"

Tears of rage filled Lionheart's eyes, burning more than dragon fire. "It wasn't like that, Father! You know it wasn't!"

"What I know or don't know matters little," said Hawkeye. "What the people, your subjects, believe is what matters now." He shook his head and stood once more, stepping around Rose Red and pacing to the end of the dais. He raised his hands, commanding the attention of all assembled in that yard. "I hereby give to my son, your prince, the duty of passing sentence upon the accused."

Angry mutters filled the yard, and Lionheart, as he looked out upon the crowd, saw the fury on each face. They did not think he would do as they wished. They did not believe he could pass the sentence they required. And what would be his fate if he did not give them their will? The Council of Barons and their cold vote. The loss of his inheritance. Moonblood, pg 66.

Back Cover: Moonblood Draws Near, and Soon the Dragons Will Wake

Desperate to regain the trust of his kingdom, Prince Lionheart reluctantly banishes his faithful servant and only friend, Rose Red. Now she is lost in the hidden realm of Arpiar, held captive by her evil goblin father, King Vahe.

Vowing to redeem himself, Lionheart plunges into the mysterious Goldstone Wood, seeking Rose Red. In strange other worlds, Lionheart must face a lyrical yet lethal tiger, a fallen unicorn, and a goblin horde on his quest to rescue the girl he betrayed.

With the Night of Moonblood fast approaching when King Vahe seeks to wake the Dragon's sleeping children, Lionheart must discover whether or not his heart contains courage before it's too late for Rose Red... and all those he loves.

My Review: Moonblood a perfect continuation of the Tales of Goldstone Wood series. Full of dragons, goblins, unicorns, and a prince's epic quest to save his only true friend from the clutches of her evil father. This story is an exciting and satisfying read. The more I read in this series, the more I want to know. I can't wait to see what the next tale will be about. I would suggest reading the first two books in the series before diving into Moonblood.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I highly recommend this book to readers of fantasy.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

To read my reviews of the first two books of this series click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!