May 15, 2012

Book Review: Travelers Rest by Ann Tatlock

Excerpt: "I'm going to close my eyes and rest now. When I open my eyes again, I want you to be gone. Go back to Troy, Jane. Go back and make a life with someone else. I don't want you coming back here."

She gazed at his face, the face she knew so well and had loved so long. She wanted to reach out her hand and touch his cheek, his brow, but she didn't dare. His eyes were closed; she had been dismissed.

"Seth," she said, "just do one more thing for me. Tell me you don't love me anymore. Tell me that, and then I'll go away."

His eyelids trembled and his jaw tightened, but he didn't speak.

"I'll be back tomorrow," she said.

She saw the tear slide down the side of his face. She turned to go without brushing it away. Travelers Rest, pg 20.

Back Cover:
A YOUNG WOMAN 

determined to honor her commitment...

AN INJURED SOLDIER


 convinced life is no longer worth living...

A RETIRED DOCTOR 


certain it's too late to be forgiven...

Jane Morrow has a dilemma, and love alone may not solve it. Her faith has never been strong, yet somehow she hopes God will answer her prayers and tell her what to do. The answer she finds may not be at all what she expected...

My Review: The whole plot of Travelers Rest was intriguing to me from the start. I loved the idea that Tatlock presented of the committed young woman and her wounded soldier. I followed the story line wondering if she would honor her commitment, if she would listen to those around her, if she would have her happily ever after. But I have to be honest, there were parts of the book that just didn't ring true to me, and the pacing felt off in many places. This book is highly emotional, but it just wasn't one of my favorites, though I'm sure others will enjoy it very much.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to fans of Ann Tatlock, and readers who enjoy emotion packed contemporary fiction.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!