Feb 28, 2013

Book Review: Firefly Island by Lisa Wingate

Back Cover: SOMETIMES LOVE TAKES YOU ON AN ADVENTURE COMPLETELY OFF THE MAP

Mallory Hale's life quickly veers off course when she falls hopelessly in love. After a whirlwind romance, Mallory finds herself leaving the bustle and action of Capitol Hill for the remote town of Moses Lake, Texas--with husband, stepson, and a U-Haul in tow.

A sweet, mishap-filled journey into marriage, motherhood, and ranch living ensues, and Mallory is filled with both the wonderment of love and the insecurities of change. But what she can't shake is the unease she feels around her husband's new boss, Jack West. Jack's presence--and his mysterious past--set her on edge, and when hints of a scandal emerge, Mallory finds herself seeking answers . . . and comes to realize that the middle-of-nowhere home she wasn't sure she wanted is the very place she'll risk everything to save.

My Review: I love the narrative voice of this novel. Mallory's story is very interesting to read and I found myself laughing and smiling with her, and being frustrated and afraid at times as well. Mallory's voice carries the book, showing us her heart and mind in every sentence. The first page of this book left me wanting to read to the end. Why did the producer of CNN want to know how she got there? What did that have to do with falling in love with Daniel Webster Everson? Where does the milk cow, Irish love legend, and political scandal fit in? The more I read, wanting to solve these questions, the further I was pulled into the story. Soon, I was completely lost in the world that Lisa Wingate created. Wingate's characters are an eclectic mix - so varied, so real. I fell in love with little Nick. I hope my son grows to be such an engaging preschooler. All of Wingate's characters are realistically flawed, and I love them more for it.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to readers of contemporary fiction.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!