Feb 25, 2013

Book Review: A Cast of Stones by Patrick W. Carr

Back Cover: The Fate of the Kingdom Awaits the Cast of Stones

In the backwater village of Callowford, roustabout Errol Stone is enlisted by a church messenger arriving with urgent missives for the hermit priest in the hills. Eager for coin, Errol agrees to what he thinks will be an easy task, but soon finds himself hunted by deadly assassins. Forced to flee with the priest and a small band of travelers, Errol soon learns he's joined a quest that could change the fate of his kingdom.

Protected for millennia by the heirs of the first king, the kingdom's dynasty nears its end and the selection of the new king begins--but in secret and shadow. As danger mounts, Errol must leave behind the stains and griefs of the past, learn to fight, and discover who is hunting him and his companions and how far they will go to stop the reading of the stones.

My Review: It was the cover of A Cast of Stones that drew me to this book. I love the different elements and I wanted to know more about the story that went with it. While I enjoy fantasy from time to time, I'm not an avid reader in the genre, so I wasn't sure what I was going to find. A Cast of Stones was a little different than most fantasy that I've read. The church is a huge part of this book that really feels like it is set in medieval times, with magical elements. The main character, Errol, goes through so much in the story that he is not close to the same character that he started as. It is interesting learning about the world that  Carr has created through the view of his character learning along the way. I was drawn along in this tale, trying to understand what was happening and how things were going to turn out. I am interested in reading further tales in The Staff and The Sword series.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to readers of Christian fantasy.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!