Sep 25, 2013

Book Review: Rebellious Heart by Jody Hedlund

Back Cover: Massachusetts, 1763

A Love That Would Shape History Forever

Because she's a woman, higher learning was always closed to Susanna Smith. But her quick mind and quicker tongue never back down from a challenge. And she's determined to marry well, so she'll be able to continue her work with the less fortunate.

Growing up with little to his name, poor country lawyer Benjamin Ross dreams of impacting the world for the better. When introduced to the Smiths he's taken by Susanna's intelligence and independent spirit, but her parents refuse to see him as a suitor for their daughter.

When the life of a runaway indentured servant is threatened, Susanna is forced to choose between justice and mercy, and Ben becomes her unlikely advisor. But drawing closer to this man of principle and intellect lands her in a dangerous, secret world of rebellion and revolution against everything she once held dear.

My Review: From the moment I open this book I knew it had to be based closely on a real couple, like Hedlund's first books. I wasn't disappointed to discover I was correct at the end of the story when I read the Author's Notes. I love the way that Hedlund wove this story together and the journey of change that the character takes. I felt like I was immersed into Pre-Revolution Massachusetts. I could feel the injustices that were being heaped on the people and yet their desire to honor and obey their king. Once again, Jody Hedlund has captured a piece of history between the pages of a book and allowed us, the readers, to experience it first hand through the eyes of her characters.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to readers of historical fiction set near the Revolutionary War.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!