Mar 20, 2014

Book Review: Death by the Book by Julianna Deering

Back Cover: WHEN THE VILLAGE OF FARTHERING ST. JOHN IS Stunned BY A SERIES OF MURDERS, DREW FARTHERING IS DRAWN again INTO THE SLEUTHING GAME.

Drew Farthering wanted nothing more than to end the summer of 1932 with the announcement of his engagement. Instead, he finds himself caught up in another mysterious case when the family solicitor is found murdered, an antique hatpin with a cryptic message, Advice to Jack, piercing his chest.

Evidence of secret meetings and a young girl's tearful confession point to the victim's double life, but what does the solicitor's murder have to do with the murder of a physician on the local golf course? Nothing, it would seem--except for another puzzling note, affixed with a similar-looking bloodied hatpin.

Soon the police make an arrest in connection with the murders, but Drew isn't at all certain they have the right suspect in custody. And why does his investigation seem to be drawing him closer and closer to home?

My Review: It all started with a note, written in a fancy hand, giving connections to Shakespeare, and stuck to a body by a hairpin. I was hooked and couldn't wait to read what was going to happen next. I pieced together the mystery along with Drew and tried to figure out the connection between the victims. I loved the twists and turns that the story brought and triumphed as I thought I solved the case, only to find out I'd been fooled again. In my mind, this book was going to receive a solid five star rating... that was until I reached the end. I can't express my disappointment with the ending of this book without giving spoilers, but suffice it to say, I wish that it had come together differently. Unfortunately, because the ending left me flat, I can only give this story four stars. Still, it is worth the read, because you may not agree with me about the ending.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to readers of mysteries and fans of Agetha Christie.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!