Mar 28, 2014

Book Review: Love Comes Calling by Siri Mitchell

Back Cover: A girl with the best of intentions. 
A heart set on Hollywood.
An empty pocketbook.


That's all it takes for Ellis Eton to find herself working as a telephone operator for a look-alike friend. For Ellis, this job will provide not only acting practice but the funds to get her a start in the movies. She's tired of always being a disappointment to her traditional Boston family, and though she can't deny the way he makes her head spin, she knows she's not good enough for Griffin Phillips, either. It's simple: avoid Griff's attentions, work, and get paid. But in typical Ellis fashion, her simple plan spirals out of control when she overhears a menacing phone call...with her very own Griff as the target.

With an endearing heroine as her lead, Siri Mitchell takes readers on a madcap tale of love and discovering one's true desires!

My Review: I have enjoyed Siri Mitchell's books in the past and was very excited to read this new release. However, a few pages in, I realized how difficult is was going to be to connect with the main character. Ellis Eton has ADHD. While it is interesting in one sense to see what it might be like in her mind, it also makes the book difficult to read. More often than not, I found myself shaking my head at the flighty behavior of the character. I couldn't trust anything she had to say. The story does have redeeming qualities. While Mitchell shows us what the mind of ADHD might look like, she also gives us a good example of realistic change in the character. The plot is full of twists and turns as Ellis tries to solve the mystery. The book followed Mitchell's easy to read, engaging style. Not everyone shares my disregard for flighty heroines.

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I recommend this book to fans of Siri Mitchell and readers of historical romance.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!