Sep 17, 2009

Book Review: Letters to Darcy

"My world came crashing down when I heard the words not compatible with life. I was thinking, What does that mean?" Letters to Darcy, pg 9.

Letters to Darcy is a wonderful story of a mother’s struggle through difficult times. Originally written as a blog, we see the day by day challenge that Tracy Ramos faced. Her unborn child, Darcy, was diagnosed with trisomy 18. Doctors suggest that an abortion would be the best way to proceed since babies with this disease do not live; many don’t make it full term. Tracy rejects the advice, believing that life is a gift from God. This book takes us through the valley of the shadow of death, and brings us out into the golden city.

If you are going to read Letters to Darcy, I would suggest that you grab your box of Kleenex. Tracy’s open and honest posts left me feeling like I was on the journey with them through this trial. I cried when they cried. I cheered at the victories. I hurt for them. I mourned with them. Through the pages of this book, Darcy became real to me, and made me wonder how I would stand up against the trials that the Ramos’ were facing. This is a story of inspiration, or struggle, of trust. The prevailing theme is the sovereignty and love of God. No life, however short, is a waste. Darcy, in the 15 days that she had on this earth touched more lives than most of us ever will. Why? Because her mother was able to see past her pain and hold on to God’s hand in the difficult.

I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!