Sep 1, 2009

Book Review: She Still Calls Me Daddy by Robert Wolgemuth

"You're daughter's new moniker as wife and her new monogram mean that she is a different person. Almost as dramatic as the experience in the hospital of holding that tiny, squirming burrito, topped with a little pink knit yarmulke, is the feeling that on her wedding night something just as new and mysterious is being born. She was one person before she got married. Now she's someone else.

Her brother's new sister.

Her dad's new daughter.

Her husband's new wife.

And this newness cannot be measured in feet and inches. Its boundaries cannot be identified with numbers and the precision of a tape measure that clips to your belt." She Still Calls Me Daddy, pgs. 22-23.

Robert Wolgemuth speaks from experience as he talks about building new relationships with married daughters. As a father of two girls, he has had the pleasure (and pain) of walking his most precious possessions down the aisle and into the arms of another man. Taking the ground work from his first book “She Calls Me Daddy,” Robert snaps new lenses on his seven principles for raising daughters. He shows ho protection, conversation, affection, discipline, laughter, faith and conduct all work together in this new relationship of father-of-the-bride and father-in-law.

When I first read the description of this book, I wondered about my ability to do a review justice. As a new bride, however, I can appreciate the direction that Wolgemuth took in talking to Father’s. The last year and a half, since my own wedding, has been a time of great change for both myself, my husband, and our respective families. I like the way this book pictures this new relationship as remodelling. The stories and anecdotes used in the book kept it moving and made the reading interesting.

I would highly recommend this book to any father-of-the-bride. If God blesses us with daughters someday, I will suggest that my husband read this book when the time comes to walk them down the aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!