Jul 19, 2011

Book Review: Lion of Babylon by Davis Bunn

Excerpt: The Town Car swept through the surrounding traffic like a beast of the deep. The rear window was now all the way down. Marc tensed with the others, and reached for the gun he no longer wore.

Then an old man’s face appeared in the open window. The lone passenger was white and old and paid the congregation no mind. He leaned forward and spoke to his driver. Apparently the window was down simply so the old man could enjoy the
fine spring day.


Appearances, Marc knew, could be deceiving.

The limo swept around the corner and disappeared. The gathering resumed their Sunday chats. Marc gave it a few beats, long enough for his departure not to be tied to the limo, then walked around the corner.

As expected, the Town Car idled at the curb. With Marc’s approach, the rear door opened. He slipped inside, leaving every vestige of the church’s peace outside with the sunlight and the cool spring air. Lion of Babylon, pg. 9-10.

Back Cover: Marc Royce has been a State Department agent involved in covert operations--that is, until personal issues lead to his dismissal.

When Alex Baird goes missing in war-torn Baghdad, State comes calling again. Alex is a CIA agent--and a close friend of Royce. Three others have also dropped out of sight--a nurse, an aid worker, a wealthy young Iraqi. Are these cases linked? Rumors circulate about a kidnapping conspiracy, yet both American and local officials refuse to pursue it.

Blocked at every turn, Royce eventually unearths a trail of secret encounters between sworn enemies. What he discovers could transform the course of rivalry and reconciliation throughout the Mideast. As the human and political drama escalates, can one man summon the courage to make a difference?

My Review: I could not put down this book! I had to finish it. I had to see how things would turn out. There was no going back once I opened the cover and stepped into the story. Davis Bunn did an amazing job with this story, and I am so pleased that I was given a chance to read an review this book. I was drawn into the story. I wanted to solve the mystery. I wanted to know what was going to happen to the characters. All the while I held my breath, because of the danger, suspense and intrigue. You will not be left disappointed!

My Rating:

My Recommendation: I highly recommend this book to readers of suspense.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're comments are appreciated!